It is that time of the year again when GigaNet is soliciting proposals for presentations at its 8th annual symposium. This time it will take place in Bali, Indonesia and the main focus of the event will be on cyber-security and state control of the Internet. But don’t get discourage if you are not working in one of these areas, the program committee welcomes submissions on other topics as well.
More details here: http://giga-net.org/page/2013-annual-symposium
- Abstract submission – July 1
- Initial decisions – July 29
- Full papers due – September 30
- Symposium – October 21
This year I am going to be again on the program committee of the Global Internet Governance Academic Network (GigaNet). This is a great community for those interested in the international aspects of information policy and the political economy of Internet governance.
GigaNet is interested in receiving abstracts related to Internet Governance themes, especially those containing innovative approaches and/or emerging research areas. We encourage submissions on the following topics:Internet policies on freedom of expression (censorship, kill-switches, filtering, policies that promote free expression, corporate social responsibility)
- Internet freedom and governance in regions in transition (Arab region, Caucasus etc.)
- From PIPA to ACTA: National and international agreements on online copyright enforcement
- Cyber-security, the state and international relations
- Dataveillance and privacy – the economic perspective
- Global Internet infrastructure policy (net neutrality, peering and interconnection, ASN assignment, routing infrastructure security, etc.)
- Innovative methods for Internet Governance research
- The role of the UN and intergovernmental institutions in global Internet Governance
- Policy issues surrounding ICANN’s new gTLD program
- IP addressing: economic and technical challenges of scarcity and governance
- Internet governance and development
Other proposals on questions of global Internet governance will also be considered.
The deadline for submitting abstracts is May 20th (if accepted, you’ll have to submit the full paper by September 30th).
You can find the full CFP here.